Sunday, May 9, 2010

Americans Don't Know the Right way to Eat Meat- Or Do They?


    It was once pointed out to me that one can always discern an American while dining by how they eat their meat.  Apparently, Americans are the only utensil-using culture on the planet that hold their knife while cutting meat in the same hand with which they subsequently eat their meat with a fork.  That is, we cut the meat, lay down the knife, switch the fork from one hand to the other, and then enjoy our hard cut, if not hard earned, meat.
    Now, I had never really thought about it before- and it didn't really seem like that weird of a thing, until I began watching how people eat their meat, and indeed, it does seem somewhat awkward.  So this afternoon I find myself in this quaint mountain village, La Cumbacita, eating a milanese (the worst I've ever had- by the way), and after I had cut my first slice of meat and laid down the knife, and switched my fork from my left hand to my right, I think, this is silly.  I should cut the meat with my left hand, and not move the fork.*  
    This was much easier said than done- and in my defence, I was provided with a butter knife.    I suppose that I could have tried eating with my left hand, rather than cutting with my left hand, but either way I foresaw near equal difficulty.  As I'm sitting there, struggling to cut my meat, I think to myself, 'damn, I guess I'm just not that dexterous with my left hand.'  Then I think, wait, dexter- as in dexterus-a-um, which is Latin for right.  As in correct, favourable, right, right-handed.  And ambidextrous (I wont bore you with the etymology) literally means both right hands. 
    So I wonder, what the fuck is wrong with both cutting, and eating, with the right hand?  Maybe for once the Americans have something right...


*Now, you may have realised that I'm right-handed, given the description of how I held my utensils, and the following revolves around that fact, so if you are left-handed and easily offended, you may want to go ahead and stop reading now.

2 comments:

  1. Technically, you're not bothering to bore me with the declension, as you provide the etymology.

    Also: those of us who are ambidextrous get along just fine, thank you...

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technically, I was providing a translation, not an etymology. Also, as 'ambidextrous' is an English word, and not identical to it's Latin root, declensions are irrelevant.c

    Yay for you folks who don't have issues eating meat...

    :D

    ReplyDelete